It’s a common misconception that SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is all about driving as many visitors to your site as possible. That's not quite true. SEO is all about helping Google (or any search engine) understand what your website is about so when a customer looks for what you offer Google can send them your way.
To succeed at SEO, you need to understand it from customers’ — and Google’s — perspective:
When someone uses Google to search, they expect Google to provide relevant results. Google will look for websites that contain those keywords (amongst other things) and show the searcher a list of results. If the websites Google suggests don’t actually contain what they searched for, the searcher will get frustrated and leave in a few seconds. Because Google want to keep their customers happy, the next time someone searches for those keywords, it won't suggest that website.
Making Google happy
Fundamentally, to make Google happy you need to ensure visitors to your website find relevant content. Google will reward you by sending more traffic your way.
Google’s SEO guide is a comprehensive document covering all the steps you could possibly take to optimize your website.
Envato Sites makes creating an SEO optimized website as straightforward as possible by offering templates that have been designed to help search engines understand their content. However, there there are still a few things you'll need to set up to help search engines know which customers to send your way:
- Write a great page title and page description
- Fill your site with relevant, descriptive content using words and phrases that your customers might use when searching for you - especially in the headings and subheadings
- Review your content and make a list of keywords to add to your page settings
- Ensure all images on your site have "Alt text" so Google can understand what's on display
- Schedule regular sessions to analyse your website's performance with Google Analytics
- Create a plan so that you can regularly update your site with fresh new content that features your keywords.