Before you get started
- Our quick start guide provides an overview of the steps involved.
- If your domain has existing DNS records, it's a good idea to make a back-up before making any changes.
- Log in to your 1and1 account at https://my.1and1.com
Setting up a Subdomain
In order to create the required CNAME Record, you must first set up a subdomain.
Here are the steps:
1. Click Domains in the menu on the left side of your screen:
2. Click the Settings icon next to your domain name
3. Click Manage Subdomains
4. Click Add subdomain
5. Enter "www" as the Subdomain Name, then click Save
Setting up a CNAME record
A CNAME record ensures that all visits to your full domain (e.g. www.example.com) are sent to Envato Sites.
1. Click the Settings icon next to your domain name
2. Click Adjust destination
3. Click DNS
4. Click Add record
7. Enter the following information:
- Change the Type to "CNAME"
- Enter "domains.envatosites.com" as the Destination
- Click Save
8. Click Save again override all the existing records. This will connect your domain name to your website
Setting up a redirect
1. Go back to the Domains page by clicking the link in the left side menu
2. Click Use your domain
2. Select Forward Domain
3. Enter the following information:
- Set the Type to "Arbitrary URL"
- Enter your full domain name including "www" into the Redirect to destination, eg: www.your-domain-name.com
- Set the Redirect type to "HTTP redirect"
- Then, click Save
Checking your domain name is set up correctly
Now that you've successfully added a CNAME and redirect record, you should check that your domain name is set up correctly.
Please note that it's likely to take a few hours for 1and1 to "propagate" (apply) the new records.
Domains and DNS terminology can get a bit technical and confusing. If you need help with any part of this process, contact your 1and1's support team or ask our domain experts for assistance. Send us a screenshot of your 1-and-1 DNS settings so we can help you troubleshoot.