Search engines like Google send out "crawlers" to look for new websites to add to their index. Indexing a website ensures that Google will be able to find it when someone searches for relevant keywords. Google (and other search engines) are constantly crawling websites so it's more than likely that soon after you share links on social media, your site will be found and indexed.
If you think your site isn't on Google, you can do a test by using the site search tool. For example:
What to do if your site isn't on Google
Although Google crawls billions of pages, it's not possible that they index every single one.
If your website was missed it could simply be because it's too new and Google hasn't had a chance to crawl it yet.
Here's what you should do if your site isn't on Google:
Ensure your site it not hidden
The first thing to do is ensure that you have not hidden your website from search engines. To do this:
1. Open your site in the Simple Site Builder and go to the Publish page
2. Ensure "Make my site visible to search engines" is toggled to ON.
3. Click the blue Publish your site button
Review and update your content
If Google has not indexed your website it could be because you don't have enough content or it's just not descriptive enough and Google doesn't understand.
The good news is that Envato Sites templates have been designed to make it easy for Google to crawl your website. As long as you add enough descriptive content that contains your keywords Google will crawl and index your site.
To assist Google's crawlers:
- Ensure that your website only contains content that is relevant to your business and that you have removed all irrelevant demo images and text that came with the template
- Use headings and subheadings that describe what the building block contains, Eg. Instead of "About Us" try "Specialists in XYZ"
- Add page descriptions, titles and keywords
Check out our Overall guide to SEO for more information about how to improve your site content.
Add your website to Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a free service offered by Google that helps you monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot your site's presence in Google Search results.
Click here to go to Google Search Console: https://search.google.com/search-console/welcome.
You'll need to create an account and add a "property" (your website).
To verify your website with Google, add your Google Analytics Tracking ID.